Frequently Asked “Nut” Questions
How do I cook the chestnuts?
● ☞ If you don’t know the answer play ” The Christmas Song” by Nat King Cole. Everything tastes better on an open fire. However you can use two different methods.
⒈ Score the Chestnuts, place them on your favorite sheet pan and roast them in the oven at 350º F. Depending on the size it can take from 10 to 20 minutes. You can test if they are ready by opening one up. If the furry skin still sticks to the nut, roast them longer. 😉
⒉ Score the Chestnuts and place them on a Carbon Steel Chestnut Pan. Place them on a burner at low heat and cook them until they open. Do not leave them unsupervised as the open flames going trough the holes in the bottom of the pan could seriously burn your Chestnuts.🔥🔥
This is what a Carbon Steel Chestnut Pan looks like
Can I eat the chestnuts raw?
How do I keep my chestnuts fresh?
How do I crack them open?
● ☞ Chestnuts have a leathery shell which must be removed before eating. If you want to hear the “crack” noise, roasting is the answer. 👌 The shell has to be scored before roasting to make them easy to peel. We DO NOT suggest hammers, chainsaws or food processor. If a squirrel can do it so can you 🙈🙈🙈
Can I pre order chestnuts for the next season?
How long does it takes to receive my chestnuts?
● ☞ It’s important to us that you receive only the freshest Chestnuts we have to offer, as they are perishable. We ship our products with USPS Priority Mail and we try to limit time in transit. We ship Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. We do not ship on Friday or the weekend to make sure they won’t sit in a sad warehouse! Usually you can expect your nuts to arrive between 2 to 3 days. 📪📪📪
How to stratify chestnuts
● ☞ Chestnut seed needs to be cold stratified ❄️. They should be stored in a refrigerator crisper drawer until spring. We punch holes for ventilation in a gallon zip- lock bag and use a soil-less starting mixture (our favorite is “PRO-MIX PGX”) and up to 40 nuts per bag. DO NOT use a mixture with fertilizer in it. Make sure the mixture is not too wet or dry, check and turn stored chestnuts every couple of weeks for mold. If by chance a chestnut does mold, discard it immediately. 👎
● ☞ By February or March, your seeds should have developed a sprout which is the tap root. You may transplant at this time into a container (we use a tall Styrofoam cup) with the soil-less mix, with holes punched in the bottom for drainage. 🔥NO FERTILIZER 🔥 Place containers in a warm sunny window or greenhouse and by the time the danger of frost has passed, you will be able to plant your seedlings in the ground. At this time you may use a weak fertilizer on top of the soil but making sure to sprinkle the fertilizer granules 3-4 inches away from the chestnut trunk so as not to burn it.
Best nuts for planting
● ☞ Seed nuts are our best nuts for planting. We hand-select premium chestnuts from our best trees for your planting pleasure and to insure the best quality seedlings👌. You can find our seed nuts in the Store page ➥